- 1 lb dried beans, sorted & rinsed
- 2 1/2 quarts water
- 18-oz can tomato sauce
- 1 lg onion, chopped
- 1 med green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 rib celery, chopped
- 1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp red cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp liquid hot sauce (louisiana, tabasco)
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1 lb smoked sausage, cut into pieces
- Hot cooked rice
Place beans & water in large pot (at least 6 quarts). Let soak about 1 hour. Add remaining ingredients, except sausage. Bring to boil, reduce heat, cover & simmer for 2 hours. Brown sausage . Simmer another 1 to 1/2 hour or until beans are tender. Serve over hot rice.
Very Delicious!!! I got this recipe out of the Longview News Journal years ago and tried it. It was one that I have cooked time & time again.